Wednesday, October 8, 2014

American Horror Story: Freak Show Inspired Manicure

Or "How a Mani Can Show You've Grown as a Person."  More on that later.

Let's just talk for a second about how awesome American Horror Story is. Where else on television will you see this amount of gore, depravity and general sinfulness?  Although to be honest some scenes are really hard for me to watch (especially that one in S03E01. You KNOW the one I'm talking about--or rather a lot of season 3 period) where I have to clench my teeth and kinda squirm until it's over.  Also it was really special to see my girlhood crush Dylan McDermott doing all the dirty and bad things he did in seasons 1 and 2.  Thanks for that, AHS!

But aside from the horrific parts of AHS there are some really great moments like pretty much any scene with Jessica Lange and this:
In honor of American Horror Story's 4th season Freak Show I dedicate the following mani.

Freak Show is going to center around a freak show in Jupiter, FL in the 1950s.  Personally I kinda wish they had gone back a little further to Dust Bowl times so I can get a shot of what might have been since HBO's Carnival was cancelled after only two seasons but...  Anyway, I'm sure it's going to be great.  I'm super excited about the premiere tonight though I will probably save it for when I can watch it with a friend because I'm a wuss.

Here's what I used

  • Index Finger: 3 thin coats L'Oreal Greycian Goddess and 1 coat CrowsToes Candied Brains Anyone?
  • Middle Finger: 3 thin coats OPI Fly 
  • Ring Finger: 1 thin coat OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls followed by 2-3 thin coats of Finger Paints Paper Mache with China Glaze Adventure Red-y
  • Pinky Finger: 3 thin coats OPI Funky Dunky and Konad Green using the Red Angel 113 stamping plate






On my ring finger is one of the posters from the Freak Show site.  I really love this poster and most of the others even though I bet a lot of them are probably simple photo manipulations from Photoshop there's still something about them that's really cool.


I guessed how much to resize the poster so it would fit my nail, printed it out on regular printer paper and glued it to my nail with top coat.  I was afraid to apply top coat over the paper for fear of the ink smearing but after most of the pictures were taken I added two coats and now my mani is waterproof.

I'm really really happy with how this turned out.  I don't mind the red part of the Big Top on the ring finger isn't totally crisp and even or the diamond row stamp on my pinky is a little smeared towards the edge of my nail because American Horror Story isn't clean, crisp lines.  It fits to me.  Before I would've obsessed over the fact that the lines weren't perfect and I wouldn't have been able to convince myself that it was acceptable because of the context with the show.  Now I'm able to enjoy my nail art and think of this as a fun activity rather than a time where I had a great idea in my head yet couldn't get it to come to fruition.  I hope anyone struggling with the same problem takes this to heart and you cut yourself some slack.

Are you a fan of American Horror Story?  Will you be watching Freak Show?



No comments:

Post a Comment